- Funding Source:
MI Women's Foundation $20,000; 2/00-2/01
- Goals & Objectives:
To strengthen the capacity of eastside Detroit communities to prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes.
East side Detroit residents, primarily African American Partners:
- Detroit Health Department
- Eastside Parish Nurse Network
- Friends of Parkside
- Henry Ford Health System
- Islandview Development Corporation
- Village Health Workers
- Warren/Conner Development Coalition, UM School of Public Health.
Approximately 20 community members trained as HEED advocates on topics related to diabetes risk factors, access barriers. Activities include fruit/veggie mini-markets, walking clubs, information fairs, healthy cooking demonstrations.
- Raised knowledge about diabetes risk factors and prevention
- Raised social support
- Raised access to information about diabetes/healthy foods
- Expanded resources for fitness/exercise activities
Methods & Analyses:
- Pre-post training assessment
- Process and outcome evaluation using project documentation
Results: Pre-post training assessment indicates increased knowledge among participants about diabetes prevention, importance of diet and exercise.