- Funding Source:
- NIEHS, $2.4 million, 9/00-9/05
- CONEH is funded through a separate grant but was part of CAAA intervention activities.
Goals & Objectives: To reduce exposure to physical and psychosocial environmental stressors associated with childhood asthma severity and exacerbation, and strengthen protective factors modifying the effect of these stressors.
- East side and southwest Detroit residents
- African American and Hispanic
- Detroit residents at-large
- Detroit Hispanic Development Corporation
- Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice
- Friends of Parkside
- Latino Family Services
- United Community Housing Coalition
- Warren/Conner Development Coalition
- Detroit Health Department
- Henry Ford Health System
- Michigan Department of Agriculture-Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division
- University of Michigan School of Public Health
Intervention: Community organizers work with CBOs/environmental groups to lower environmental asthma triggers. Community mobilization; policy advocacy; networking. Outcome Indicators:
- Asthma-related health status
- Changes in perception of neighborhood environment
- Changes in local/state environmental policies
Methods & Analyses:
- Analysis will explore effect of neighborhood intervention on HH intervention.
- Qualitative data to assess change in perceptions/policy.
Results: Data not available.